of the unit you should be able to:
- given the name, write the symbol (and vice versa) for some common elements.
- identify the elements in the periodic table which:
- are metals, nonmetals or metalloids.
- are solids, liquids and gases at room temperature.
- are alkali metals, alkaline earth elements, halogens and noble gases.
- are short-lived.
- are naturally occurring.
- exist as diatomic molecules.
- are classified as transition metal elements.
- define covalent bond.
- predict the number of covalent bonds that some common elements such as:
H, C, Si, O, S, N, P, F, Cl, Br, and I tend to form.
- list the properties of metals and explain these properties in terms of the
bonding between the metal atoms.
- predict the charges carried by monatomic ions of common metals and nonmetals.
- compare the sizes of atoms and ions of various elements.