THE PERIODIC TABLE
what we've learned:
4.6 - Ions
- In section 3.3.2 we learned
that for the Representative elements the element's group number is also the
number of valence electrons for those elements in that group.
In section 4.4
we learned that metals have a tendency to lose their valence
electrons to form cations.
In section 4.5 we learned that when
is formed, the number of electrons that is gained or lost is determined by
- Group IA elements all have 1
- Group IIA elements all have 2
- Group IIIA elements all have 3
- Group IVA elements all have 4
- Group VA elements all have 5
- Group VIA elements all have 6
- Group VIIA elements all have 7
- Group VIIIA elements all have 8
Click here to review the charge of ions that representative
elements tend to form.