of the unit you should be able to:
- state the mass, charge and location of protons, electrons and neutrons.
- given the atomic number of an element, draw diagrams showing the protons
in the nucleus and the electrons in shells (or energy levels) around the nucleus.
- write the electron dot formulae for the elements in groups 1 to 8 in the
- define valence electrons and atomic number.
- define positive and negative ions.
- identify the elements in the periodic which tend to form positive ions and
those which tend to form negative ions.
- define isotopes, mass number and atomic mass.
- given the relative abundance and isotopic masses for an element, calculate
the atomic mass of that element.
- given the atomic number and mass number of an element, calculate the number