Experiment 2 - Physical Properties
Part C: Solubility
- Use a spatula and scoop a spatula tip of potassium chloride
and napthalene into separate test tubes containing about 5 mL of distilled
- Stopper each test tube and shake.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 using hexane as the solvent.
- Record the solubility (i.e. soluble, slightly soluble
or insoluble) for each solid in each of the two solvents.
- In separate test tubes: mix:
- 20 drops of ethanol and 2 mL of water
- 20 drops of hexane and 2 mL of water
- 20 drops of hexane and 2 mL of ethanol
- Record which combinations are miscible and which are
immiscible. When you have finished pour any remaining hexane or any mixture
which contains hexane into the waste